EMERGENCY ALERT: INDONESIA EARTHQUAKE JULY 2019
Jul 16, 2019
Indonesia hit by 7.2 magnitude earthquake with several aftershocks recorded
- An earthquake of 7.2 M occurred on Sunday, July 14, 2019, in Western Indonesia Time (WIB) at 62 km Northeast Labuha, North Maluku.
- Aftershocks were reported with magnitudes up to 5.8.
- So far, 4 people have been reported dead; 51 injured; 3,105 people displaced; 971 houses severely damaged; 7 schools, 3 religious centres and 1 community centre damaged.
- Access to the area is difficult, with roads and bridges damaged. Access by boat is required at this time.
- Electricity is also limited and poses additional access challenges, phone signals are off and on.
- The Indonesian government, in collaboration with partners, is continuing to provide emergency assistance and mobilizing resources in the country.
What CARE is doing
Two of CARE’s partners are traveling to the area to carry out a needs assessment.
CARE is closely monitoring the situation and will be supporting our partners and the local populations as required.
How you can help
In an emergency, a quick response saves lives. Donate now to CARE Canada's Emergency Response Fund.