5 WASH Facts from Around the Globe
Nov 4, 2019
1 out of every 3 people globally lack access to clean and safe drinking water
WASH = Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene
Clean water and access to sanitation and hygiene saves lives. These are essential needs for survival and development and a lack of these necessities can lead to disease, increase poverty, and even cause death.
Here are 5 facts about WASH from around the globe:
1. Around the world, 2.2 billion people lack access to clean and safe drinking water - that's 1 out of every 3 people globally
2. In just one day, more than 152 million hours of women and girls' time is spent collecting water. This is time that could be spent in school, at work, or with family
3. Around the world, 4.2 billion people lack access to safe sanitation services
4. Every year, 297,000 children under 5 years old die from Diarrheal diseases caused by unsafe drinking water, poor sanitation, and poor hygiene
5. 80% of the world's waste water goes into our waterways without proper treatment - this pollutes drinking water and contributes to the spread of water-related diseases
GIVE THE GIFT OF CLEAN WATER FOR A FAMILY
Give a gift that will provide a family with clean and safe water so that families can stay healthy and women and girls can use their time to go to school or earn an income.