CARE’s Tukuy Yanapana project works with local municipalities to boost the profitability of small businesses so families can enjoy better incomes for years to come.
Farmers in the provinces of Chuquisaca experience poor productivity while local businesses lack strong links to markets for their products. Bolivia also has one of the highest levels of income inequality between women and men in Latin America. Barriers continue to prevent women from participating in and benefiting equally from small businesses.
- Improve the profitability and competiveness of small family farms and businesses in four municipalities of Chuquisaca. This will be done through improving municipal governance, education and training, and strengthening gender equality.
- Encourage the creation of municipal strategies that ensure sustainable and fair economic development through farmer and civil society participation.
- Work directly with more than 1,500 small-scale farmers and small business owners, both women and men, and indirectly benefit more than 53,000 community members.
This project is undertaken with the financial support of the Government of Canada provided through the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada.
About the project
Start Date: 2012
End Date: 2016
Total impact: 54,690 people
- Bolivia is one of the poorest and least developed countries in Latin America.
- More than half of Bolivia’s population lives below the poverty line, living on less than $2 a day. (WHO, 2011)
- Over 67 per cent of women have only primary school education or none at all. (WHO, 2011)
- Women in the project’s area are estimated to make 67 cents for every dollar a man earns.
CARE is promoting the role of women in economic activities. As we work with communities to strengthen the local economy, we are ensuring the meaningful participation of women. For example, meetings and training sessions educate women and men about gender roles in labour and raise the visibility of women’s unpaid work.
For more information on this project, please contact email@example.com